François Charles Lagisquet, born on January 16th, 1864 in Villefranche-sur-mer (Alpes Maritimes), arrived in Northern Vietnam (Tonkin) in 1885 while volunteering in the French army.
Between 1887 and 1888, he served as a member of army administration. Architect of the Hanoi Opera House, he married a Vietnamese woman in 1913 and was elected to the municipal council of Hanoi in 1921. On the 24th of April, 1934, he became Second Secretary to the Mayor until his death in Hanoi's Lanessan Hospital in 1936.
Lagisquet's wife sold their house in 1950 to a Hanoian doctor, who would later welcome Ho Chi Minh to the home in 1952.
The villa eventually housed the Spanish Embassy and hosted the King and Queen of Spain in 2006. In 2010, Lagisquet's historical home became Madame Hiên.